A facelift is a surgical procedure that helps tighten the skin of the face and removes large creases and wrinkles that have formed around the nose and mouth. It helps improve the jaw line, to give the face a more youthful appearance. Generally, the neck is also treated during the same surgery, which helps give the patient a cohesive refreshed look. Our surgeons routinely add fat transfer during this procedure, as we believe this stem cell-rich addition bolsters the rejuvenation by restoring youthful volume.
While each patient’s results vary, the standard facelift result will reduce years of aging. The procedure is performed through an incision made in the hair line and near the ear to help conceal scars. The incisions are placed in the natural curves and lines of the scalp and face to camouflage their appearance. For men, the incision often follows the natural beard line and can be camouflaged by sideburns.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Facelift?
Facelift surgery is performed to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and the signs of aging to create a more youthful appearance of the face and jawline. It can be performed alone or in combination with other cosmetic procedures, such as a neck lift or brow lift. The ideal candidate for this procedure should have:
- Good overall health: Patients should be healthy and able to safely undergo general anesthesia. We work closely with patients and their treating physicians to ensure patient safety and to facilitate the best result.
- Some degree of skin elasticity: A candidate for a facelift should have skin that has retained some flexibility, as the skin is tightened in the procedure to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The skin should be able to conform to the new, more youthful contours.
- Excess skin on the face or neck: A facelift is performed to remove excess skin from the face or neck, while simultaneously tightening the skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Excess, loose skin is removed in this procedure.
Reasons to Have a Facelift
A number of factors can contribute to the loss of youthful facial contours, including loss of facial fat volume, thinning of the skin, heredity, stress, sun damage, smoking, and gravity. A surgical facelift can help restore a more youthful appearance by improving visible signs of aging, such as:
- Excess fat of the neck (double chin)
- Loose skin of the neck (“turkey neck”)
- Sagging caused by skin laxity
- Loss of facial fat volume
- Fallen, droopy facial tissue or fat
Types of Facelifts
Technology has advanced in recent years in the area of cosmetic facial rejuvenation. Our North Carolina plastic surgeons at Criswell & Criswell Plastic Surgery have a number of treatment options and types of facelifts available to help our patients achieve a more youthful appearance. Popular facelift types include:
This procedure provides optimal correction and is often recommended for patients with moderate to significant aging. It involves incisions placed around the ears and into the hairline and a small incision under the chin. The muscles of the face and neck are tightened, and bands of muscle in the front of the neck are sutured together and divided to define the neckline and create smoother contours. Excess fat is removed from the neck and jowls, and excess skin is removed both in front and behind the ears. This surgical technique provides dramatic, long-lasting results.
The mini facelift is a less invasive procedure that uses smaller incisions than the traditional facelift. These small incisions, placed under cover of the hairline, allow the surgeon to remove excess tissue, tighten the skin, and improve the appearance of the neck and jowls. It is a great treatment option for women and men who want to address the early signs of aging.
This is an effective technique for rejuvenating the midface and cheek area. The surgeon makes small incisions in the hairline above the ears, and in the mouth. This allows the surgeon to tighten the skin in the area and reposition pads of fat in the cheeks into the youthful position over the cheekbones.
Custom-Tailored Facelift Procedure
Other cosmetic procedures can be performed in conjunction with a facelift to enhance the outcome of the surgery, including:
- Cheek augmentation with fat transfer
- Laser skin resurfacing to improve the texture and tone of the skin
- Dermal filler injections to reduce the appearance of wrinkles
Our skilled plastic surgeons at Criswell & Criswell Plastic Surgery are recognized for their dedication to their patients, for having an artistic eye for beauty, and for the high quality of their work. When you meet with one of our surgeons in a consultation, we can tailor a facelift procedure to suit your individual needs.