Breast ReductionView Gallery
Very large and heavy breasts can cause some women intense physical pain, including back aches, neck pain, shoulder pain, and skin irritation. In addition to physical side effects, large breasts can interfere with daily activities such as buying and fitting into clothes and exercising. For patients with these problems, a breast reduction can help reduce these side effects.
By undergoing breast reduction surgery, women can achieve a smaller, more proportionate bust line, alleviating the physical and emotional strain that can accompany large breasts. Your plastic surgeon will place the incisions in such a way to minimize the appearance of scars, but how the scars finally heal is mostly dependent on how you specifically heal.
As a general rule, there are two main types of surgery: one leaving a lollipop scar, (a scar around the areola and one on the lower part of the breast) and one leaving an anchor type scar (a scar around the areola, down the lower part of the breast, and across the fold of the breast on the underside). Neither of these scars can be seen while wearing clothes, a bathing suit or bra, and your plastic surgeon will choose the one option that gives you the best result with the smallest scar.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction?
Overly large breasts can impair activities and cause physical and emotional problems. Breast reduction surgery is performed to relieve physical pain and discomfort and to improve a woman’s self-image. You may be a good candidate for this procedure if:
- You are bothered by having breasts that are too large.
- Your breast size limits your physical activities.
- You have bra strap indentations in your shoulders.
- You suffer with back, neck, and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts.
- You have a rash or skin irritation beneath the breast crease.
Reasons to Have Breast Reduction Surgery
Full breasts can add to a woman’s feminine allure, but many women with overly large breasts agree that, in this case, less is more. Although the decision to have breast reduction surgery is individual and highly personal, there are a number of common reasons why women elect to have this procedure:
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain from the weight of heavy breasts
- Shoulder grooves from heavy breasts pulling against bra straps
- Poor posture caused by hunching over from the weight of the breasts
- Unwanted comments and attention from the opposite sex
- Breasts that sag because of their weight
- Unattractive, ill-fitting bras
- Limited clothing choices
- Discomfort during exercise
- Skin discoloration and irritation under the breasts
- Self-consciousness from having overly large breasts
Aesthetic Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
In addition to alleviating physical pain and discomfort and removing limitations on your activities, breast reduction surgery can have dramatic aesthetic benefits. After the procedure, the breasts are smaller, firmer, lighter, and lifted for a more youthful appearance. The silhouette is more balanced and attractive with breasts now in balanced proportion with the body.
Bras are prettier, better fitting, and more comfortable, and you can now wear form-fitting clothes and make fashion choices to further boost your self-confidence.
At Criswell & Criswell Plastic Surgery in Charlotte, North Carolina, we are dedicated to surgical excellence and well known for the quality of our work. If you are considering breast reduction surgery, our professional, personable plastic surgeon will be happy to discuss your options and explain the procedures in a warm and comfortable environment.