Bryan K. Criswell, M.D.
Born in the small town of Ranger Texas, Dr. Bryan Criswell grew up watching his grandfather practice medicine. He saw his grandfather make a positive difference in patients’ lives, and from an early age knew he wanted to pursue medicine in order to help others. Largely because of his upbringing, Dr. Criswell has dedicated his medical career to helping others through his plastic surgery practice. His patients and colleagues comment on his “quiet confidence”, describing his gentle and affable nature that fosters a comfortable, relaxed doctor patient relationship.
Even before his medical career began, Dr. Criswell cultivated an interest in technically skilled arts. He studies classical and flamenco guitar and continues to make time for pencil, pen, and ink drawing. Dr. Criswell believes, “it is important to add an artistic quality to the field of surgery. Plastic surgery is a highly technical and exact science, but ultimately it involves meticulous, artistic technique.” With each of his patients, Dr. Criswell evaluates and treats them with this dual scientific and artistic focus.
Dr. Criswell received his college degree with a pre-medical emphasis followed by medical school where he received his doctorate in medicine. From there, he completed five years of general surgery training followed by three more years dedicated to both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. In his practice, Dr. Criswell offers a complete range of cosmetic and reconstructive surgery procedures. He performs up to date non-surgical procedures, minimally invasive and more invasive procedures, personalizing every procedure to the individual. He understands that each of his patients has different needs, desires and goals and he tailors his practice to cater to every patient.
Dr. Criswell and his wife, Dr. Kara Criswell, live in the SouthPark area of Charlotte, North Carolina with their young sons, Jack and Wyatt. The four of them like to take walks together with their English Bulldog, Bruno. They also love to enjoy the many great Charlotte restaurants. His other hobbies include flamenco guitar, pen and ink drawing, and sport rock climbing.
Board Certifications and Licenses
Dr. Criswell is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a licensed physician by the North Carolina Medical Board.
Professional Associations and Societies
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- North Carolina Medical Society
- North American Burn Society
Hospital Appointments and Affiliations
- Carolinas Medical Center, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Carolinas Medical Center Pineville, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Carolinas Medical Center Mercy, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Presbyterian Novant Charlotte, Division of Plastic Surgery
- Presbyterian Novant Matthews, Division of Plastic Surgery
- Ballantyne Surgery Center, Presbyterian Novant, Division of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Criswell’s Academic History
Education and Training:
- Graduated cum laude from Texas Christian University.
- Completed medical school with honors in research at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Surgical internship at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Completed five years of general surgery training as administrative chief resident at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York.
- Completed three years of plastic surgery training with the division of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Cosmetic Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dr. Criswell has furthered his training with courses given by the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, BAHA and dental osseointegrated implants, Inamed and Mentor saline and silicone breast implants, Allergen (Botox and Juvederm), Restylane, Radiesse, Sculptra, Coapt Systems Endotines, and others.
Dr. Criswell’s Past Research:
- Principal Investigator at the Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Evaluating simultaneous abdominal wall reconstruction and abdominal lipectomy in complex abdominal wounds.
- Evaluating microsurgical research techniques in the rat model.
- Principal Investigator at the Cook County Burn Center studying burn scar neoplasms.
- Principal Investigator with Upstate Medical University. Evaluating the use of free TRAM flaps in a private microsurgical practice.
- Principal Investigator with the Department of Vascular Surgery at the University of New Mexico. Analyzing carotid duplex sonography and angiography in the diagnosis of carotid artery stenosis.
Professional Publications by Dr. Criswell:
- Unilateral Cleft Lip Repair. eMedicine, 2006. Patel PK, Criswell BK, Criswell KK, Cohen M.
- Cleft Palate Repair. eMedicine, 2006. Patel PK, Criswell KK, Criswell BK, Cohen M.
- Bilateral Cleft Lip Repair. eMedicine, 2006.Patel, PK, Criswell KK, Criswell BK, Cohen M.
- Burn Scar Neoplasms: A Literature Review and Statistical Analysis. Burns. 31:403, 2005.Kowal-Vern A, Criswell BK.
- Evaluating Institutional Variability of Duplex Scanning in the Detection of Carotid Artery Stenosis. American Journal of Surgery. 176(6):591-7, 1998 Dec. Criswell BK, Langsfeld M.
Academic Surgery Presentations:
- Abdominal Lipectomy and Simultaneous Reconstruction of Abdominal Wall Defects After Bariatric Surgery in Crystal City, Virginia, 2006.
- TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction in a Patient with an Ileostomy at the 44th Annual Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, 2005.
- Neoplasms in Burn Scars, at the 36th Annual North American Burn Society, Annual Meeting, Squaw Valley, CA, 2004.
- Institutional Variability of Duplex Scanning in the Detection of Carotid Artery Stenosis, the 50th Annual Southwestern Surgical Congress, San Antonio, TX, 1998.
- Using ICA/CCA and ECA/CCA Blood Flow Velocity Ratios to Determine Artery Stenosis. University of New Mexico School of Medicine Research Symposium, Albuquerque, NM, 1997.
Dr. Criswell’s Honors and Awards
- Administrative Chief Plastic Surgery Resident, University of Illinois at Chicago
- North American Burn Society Meeting, First Place, Resident Presentation Award
- Administrative Chief Resident, General Surgery
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support (ATLS) Clinical Instructor
- Honors in Medical School Research
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America